Just looking over my last few months of posts, I realized that I've been blogging about a lot of finishes but not really doing many "in process" posts. As a blog reader, those are some of my favorite reads, so my bad for dropping the down and dirty process posts! But I've got a WIP that will be year-long, so you'll probably tire of reading about it long before I tire of sharing it....
the EPIC Technicolor Galaxy Skill Builder BOM for 2015 taught by Alyssa at Pile O Fabric!!!!
Now hold on here, my 10 faithful readers might be wondering, didn't you start a BOM a looong time ago that still remains unfinished and sitting on a shelf? Doesn't that make you feel guilty about starting a new one?
Um, no. No it doesn't.
Because you know what? I live in New England where we've had the longest, crappiest, snowiest winter in a long time. And everyone in my family got sick with an awful cold that was THISCLOSE to being a flu. And my kid's school got cancelled for a whole extra week because of snow on the roof. The week before February vacation! And everyone has been crabby and miserable! And there were weeks when the air literally hurt your face when you went outside for two minutes! And just looking at this rainbow BOM makes me happy. So is that what you really want? To give me guilt and keep me from being happy?
Yeah. That's what I thought. So let me show you Block #1 - the color wheel
I am not a sewer that is immediately drawn to solids, so I knew the major change I'd be making to this BOM was to cut out the solids and go with all prints. Plus, I wanted to add in a little more aqua and replace the reds with deeper pinks. I also decided to cut the color from the "D" ring of the wheel and replace it with low volume scraps. To audition fabrics, Alyssa suggested using the coloring pages provided in the month's instructions with little scraps of fabric. It was a really great way to audition the prints and get a decent idea of how the colors would blend together!
The main skills introduced this month were: creating your own fusible bias tape from scratch, glue basting your fabric shapes onto your muslin square, shaping your bias tape so it will cover up all the raw edges and fusing it down, then (of course) practicing your FMQ.
The only hiccup I encountered was attaching the strip of fusible to my bias tape. Some parts just would NOT stay stuck on. After attaching a few rings according to the instructions, I took my own advice and just glue basted the rest on. It turned out just fine, but at least I got to practice two different methods.
Oh, and yes I know that my FMQing leaves a lot to be desired - yeah, I'm looking at you drunken and wobbly "clamshells". But I'm not going to be ripping anything out. This project is a chance to practice, practice, practice! Hopefully by the end of the year, I'll be able to look back at this center block and see how I've improved as the rings of blocks expand.
Next month will be focused on the 12 Star Points around the color wheel - looks like the most labor intensive month of the year, so stay tuned!