Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Totes Magotes...

It's been all about the totes around here lately.


We had a really fun workshop led by Jessica at the SMQG at the beginning of January on how to make and modify your own tote bag pattern.  I've made a few bags but have never tried this style of tote, so I was all in and wanted to make something fun and bright (shocking, I know!).  I pulled out some of my stashed Echino birds and cherries print along with a few bright complimentary fabrics.

We had to come to the meeting with two quilted panels for the front and back along with the handle materials.  Since I started pulling fabrics at - cough - 11 the night before - cough - I didn't quite get all my prep done, but no one seemed to mind.


I changed up the basic pattern just slightly by adding extra ShapeFlex interfacing to the quilted panels and the handle strip because I like my bags sturdy!


It finished up SO great and even though it was a little taller than my typical bags, this turned out perfect for toting a yoga mat around for my daughter's after school dance class.

And since I was on a roll and the instructions were fresh in my mind, I made the girls their own totes in some very stylish but cute Cotton + Steel prints.  You just can't go wrong with kitties and butterflies for girls, right?


I made the same modifications with the Shapeflex but made the totes 2" shorter so that they were more square shaped than rectangular.  The boxed bottoms make them perfect for toting a few books/notebooks/packs of colored pencils around and the girls are in love :)

And just in case you were wondering about the post title, here you go. Enjoy the laugh from me.

Linking up:
Fresh Poppy Design


5 comments:

  1. Very cute totes, I love the combination of prints you used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo adorable!!! You can never go wrong with butterflies & kitties:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colours in the butterfly one, it's totes pretty :) And the kitties are cute. I like the squarer shape, too. Great job, no wonder the girls are in love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore them. Cute fabrics and I love the tip for using pellon shape flex. I had no idea. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work is very good and I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts. Thank you for sharing great information to us. non woven bag singapore

    ReplyDelete