Friday, October 10, 2014

A Bee-autiful Year...


After last summer's amazing Plum & June Let's Get Acquainted Blog Hop, a bunch of us new bloggers joined together to form the ScrapBeeLicious hive.  Thirteen of us started making blocks last August and we just wrapped up the year this summer!  The goal was to dip into our stashes and use up our growing scrap bins with fun and challenging blocks.


Looking back at the entire year of requests, I finished a grand total of 22 blocks over 13 months - not including my own.  There was quite a variety of techniques that we got to try out!  We did paper piecing, applique, flying geese, half square triangles, curves, improv piecing, and simple squares.  I know that I tried quite a few different block patterns that I never would have considered if I wasn't prompted!


I tried to blog about each month individually, but the last few months of the bee just got away from me and even though all my blocks were sent out, I didn't get a chance to post about them!  Which was a shame because Michelle, Stephanie, and Robin Sue requested some really nice blocks.  Take a peek...




In June, Stephanie asked for two Flock of Flying Geese blocks.  Cath was nice enough to create a paper-pieced template for all of us in just the right size.



I made one just from scraps of my Wavelength mini and the other in my typical rainbow palette.  With a bunch of fussy cuts, as always. :)




In July, Michelle asked for two Drunkard's Path blocks from Angela Pingel's book, A Quilter's Mixology.  AND she even bought us the book if we didn't already have it!  It was quite a treat to get that one in the mail - it was a book that I had been wanting to get but just hadn't gotten around to it yet!  


I was pretty nervous about it - I had never tried curves before.  But the instructions are so clear and simple that it really makes those curves a cinch to tackle!  Before I knew it, I had made four blocks.  Honest to goodness, these were the quickest bee blocks to make out of the entire year!


I don't know how some of you out there manage to be in multiple bees and swaps at the same time - it was hard enough for me to fall behind and I was only in the one.  I'm taking a bit of time off from the bee circuit, but eventually I think I'll get back in the game again.  It was lots of fun and pushed me to try new patterns, techniques, and color combinations that were out of my comfort zone.  If you're at all on the fence about joining one, give it a try.  What do you have to lose, except for scraps?


Thanks for a fun year, ladies!
Linking up:
Fresh Poppy Design


No comments:

Post a Comment