Friday, May 17, 2013

Selfish Sewing...

I've been working nonstop for the past few months on blocks, blocks, and more blocks, plus teachers giftsguild projects and a custom quilt for a friend.  With the exception of my Salty Sisters Block of the Month, it feels like a loooong time since I've worked on something that's completely my own...maybe going back to the Bookworms or my guild retreat feathers?  Yikes.  So I've been itching to get going on some of the things that are all sorted out and organized in the potential projects bins.


My mind keeps going back to this project that started out with a scribbling sketch by my oldest, which inspired the trip to the hardware store.  I went fabric shopping for this project a while ago (with my paint swatches of course!) and never posted photos of my purchases, which I am very excited to get going on!


That peacock blue/turquoise mixed solid is an Oakshott cotton and is a different texture than the usual quilting cottons, but still lovely and light to work with.  The colors are so rich but hard to photograph as gorgeous as they look in person!


My pinks are good mix from a Kona solid (lipstick I think) to some Posy and Kaufman prints - I love them all and bought MORE than enough for this project.  I used some for my block lottery wonky pinwheels and I  think they'll find their way into a few more projects over the next few months.


The pattern that I designed for this project could so easily be created into a lap or larger sized quilt, but I want to see some quick results for my efforts, so I am going to make a wall hanging sized mini quilt.  If anyone might be interested in a little quiltalong or published tutorial once I'm finished, then I might be game for a summer activity, but let's not put the cart before the horse.  I'll share my original sketch along with the finished product in a post hopefully in the not so distant future so that you get the whole process in a snapshot.

Off I go to start cutting and sewing...I can't wait to share the results with you!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Love that color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful fabrics! Can't wait to see your quilt pattern!

    Quilt Along sounds fun! I am really good at start a new project but not finishing it though ;).

    ReplyDelete