Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Trying Something New...

For our meeting this month, the Seacoast Modern Quilt Guild held a workshop hosted by Amy from During Quiet Time to teach the basics of paper piecing.  Just so you know, Amy is an insanely amazing paper piecer and she created an original block to teach all of us that featured - what else - a sewing machine.  Cute!


I was super excited to pick up a new skill but I just couldn't find any fabrics that I really liked for the block - and ones that I wouldn't be too upset to have used if I managed to screw things up big time.  Fortunately for me (and everyone else in the group too!), Becca from Sew Me a Song brought along a couple bins of amazing fabrics for sale so I completely scrapped everything that I originally brought with me in favor of some new goodies.  The only thing that I kept (because it was so precisely perfect) was the fussy cut text from an ABC panel by Kumiko Fujita that I'm still trying to figure out how to use. 


It's kind of amazing how enthusiasm over new fabrics breathes a whole new level of excitement into something right?  I had seen Lizzy House's Pearl Bracelet line online before, but the colors in real life are really gorgeous. The table and the fussy cut ruler are both from Sewing Pattern in Pink from Homespun Chic by Melody Ross.

I love the finished block and Amy's workshop has made me less leery of trying it out on a larger scale.  Thank you Amy!!  Check out the SMQG Flickr Group for more sewing machine goodness.

Linking up with Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story:

Fresh Poppy Design

5 comments:

  1. I love the fabrics you picked. Are you planning on making anything out of this fabulous block now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such a great job! I love it. As I said at the meeting, I would just love a pink machine with polka dots :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable. You did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love the sewing machine made with the pearl bracelets. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a fun block! I would love to make one of that block into a wall hanging for my craft room!

    ReplyDelete