Sunday, December 30, 2012

My Little Bookworms...


One of the things that I'm happy I've passed onto my girls is a huge love of books.  I've always got a book (or two...plus maybe an audiobook in the car) queued up on my Nook or out from the library.  Big sister learned to read pretty early and I'm convinced that part of that is because we always set aside time to read together each day.  So what better gift for both of them than a quilt that captures their favorite books and characters all together?

I had seen a quilt from Ashley at Film in the Fridge called Converging Corners - very scrappy and lots of negative space.  I liked it but I'm not usually one for uber-scrappy quilts.  I do however love me a rainbow quilt.  When I got to thinking about designing a book-themed quilt, I thought that illustrations from each book would be a cute center for the Converging Corners blocks.  But instead of going completely scrappy, I could lay it out so that each corner has a specific color.  Then each of those converging corners would join to create a scrappy colored star.  Yes!!

Of course something like that I couldn't just go into all free spirited.  I had to be a nerd and graph it all out so that I could (best as I could) match book characters to corner colors.  (Please ignore my huge white-out patches - should have just started in the center).


So here are the first three finished blocks - Fancy Nancy by Jane O'Connor, The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter, and If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff




I'm so excited about how this will all come together and will have more blocks to share as well as details on how I'm making them!

Linking up with Freshly Pieced WIP Wednesday:

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

3 comments:

  1. This is adorable and such a great way to remember all those childhood favorites!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Reading is our favourite too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I bed that is going to be adorable! Cant wait to see more. I am stopping by from the WIP hop, I would love to have you come by and see what I have been up to :) http://domesticdeficitdisorder.blogspot.com/2013/01/wip-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete